As regular readers will know, I have a strong interest in film education. In the film industry there are few formal barriers to entry, many paths to a career and strong competition among the large number of new entrants. This creates a much more muddy situation when it comes to vocalising education than is the case in other professions, such as in the legal profession.
The debate about the efficacy of film schools is as old as celluloid and is not one I will be addressing today. Instead, I will be looking at the number and nature of film schools and courses available to students in 2015. In the coming weeks, I will also be sharing more details of the film courses and also the results of surveys I performed with film students, revealing their opinions of their school, courses and tutors.
I looked at all the film schools I could find worldwide which offer film courses of at least one year and which include at least some practical element. This means I did not look at short courses or film theory courses.
- Across the world, I found 608 film schools actively offering a full-time film course, with at least some practical filmmaking elements and lasting at least a year
- I found 2,603 full-time practical film-related courses on offer in 2015 worldwide
- There are film schools is 59 countries around the world
- 48% of film schools are in the USA or the UK
- In the UK, there are 145 institutions offering these types of film courses, between them offering 537 film courses
- Of those, 12 are dedicated film schools and the rest are part of a larger institution
- 52% of UK film courses are at BA level
Where in the world are all the film schools?
I found a total of 608 schools actively offering a full-time film-related course, with at least some practical filmmaking elements, lasting at least a year and starting in 2015.
These schools are across 59 countries in the world, although nearly half are based in the United Kingdom or the United States.
I found a further 642 film schools which exist online but which do not seem to be offering a full-time practical film course in 2015. Some had closed, some do not have course details online and some run courses outside my focus (i.e. under a year long and/or without any element of practical filmmaking).